You will need:
UV Curing lamp – Gel nail polish – Prep+Wipe – Lint free pads – Gel Base & Top coat – Rosewood stick.
Optional: Pure acetone – Nail Buffer – Angled nail art brush.
Prep+Wipe, Remover, Base coat and Top Coat set: eBay – £20.99
UV Lamp: Bundle Monster – $38.50 (£23.00)
Gel Nail Polish – Bundle Monster – $27.99 (£17.00) for 6 or $5.50 (£3.40) each.
1. File nails into your desired shape – make sure no jagged bits of nail are left at the tips.
Push back cuticle using a rosewood stick or similar and try to scrub off any skin on the nails. The nail needs to be as skin-free as possible and you don’t want to end up baking the gel varnish to your skin!
If you have a nail buffing tool you can use that to remove excess skin from the nail and create a better surface for the polish to adhere to.
Soak a lint free pad in the ‘Prep+Wipe’ and clean the nail thoroughly. Allow to dry fully.
2. Apply a thin layer of gel base coat to nail and tip. Be careful not to get polish on your skin.
Place under the LED UV lamp for 90s (or time advised by product instructions). I’m still playing with timings, I have read some people cure the base for 30s but I cure for longer just to be safe while I learn.
3. Paint a thin layer of the colour gel polish over the nail and tip, avoiding any skin.
I’ve used a nail art brush and pure acetone to carefully neaten up the edges (before curing – after is too late!). Be very careful and don’t bleed any acetone into the varnish.
Cure the layer in the LED UV lamp for 60s. Repeat step 3 for layer 2 and if necessary layer 3.
Don’t be alarmed that the nail remains tacky, that’s normal.
For this set I used 2 layers of polish but some may require 1-3 depending on colour.
4. Apply the gel top coat to nail and tip. Cure for 90s (or time advised by product instructions).
5. Soak another lint free pad in the ‘Prep+Wipe’ and wipe over the nail to clean off the gel residue. Once that’s dry you should be left with super shiny, hard and durable nails.
I’m really hacked off with the lighting and the audio on the video, I’m really sad.. sorry about that! I’ll have to do some reading before the next video!
Swatches and more to come soon!Google+